The Ins And Outs Of Going Mechanical
If you are a hard-core gamer who is currently using a keyboard, you may have heard the recent buzz surrounding those of the mechanical variety. While they have been out for so long, people really didn’t give them much regard, instead focusing on buying a PC with a better video card or processor. But now the situation is different: there are countless stories of people posting on the Internet regarding the fact they will continue to use mechanical keyboards exclusively for their gaming purposes.
This kind of statements will no doubt pique the interest of most people, which is the main reason why you are left wondering whether it is really worth it to switch over as well. If this is exactly your current situation, then consider reading a few of the pros as well as some cons of mechanical keyboards as a whole:
Here are the advantages:
- Longer lifespan, which is typically anywhere in the range of 50-70 million presses for each individual key, which is quite a huge amount. Compared to this, standard keyboard keys are designed to last for just 5 million key presses.
- No stuck keys, which is a very common issue on most standard keyboards once you use them for an extended period of time. Even the key presses a few years from now will feel as if you had just unboxed the keyboard at that moment.
- Better response overall, a useful thing to have for people who want gaming keyboards. This also explains why most of these keyboards are of the mechanical variety. Mechanical keys allow for much more fine-tuning: keys can even be programmed for different activities, with some being reserved for typing and others to gaming.
- Difficult to Break – Mechanical keyboards tend to be quite sturdy and robust, which means that you won’t easily break one of them even if you tried.
Meanwhile, here are some key disadvantages:
- High cost – PC gaming gear is sadly on the more expensive side compared to conventional computer hardware, and mechanical keyboard Australia are not any different. But even if your keyboard is not of the gaming variety, expect to pay more for it than for a standard keyboard.
- They are quite loud, this one being one of the few reasons why some people can’t stand using them at all. After all, constant noises when typing are quite unnerving, so what would happen if you make them even noisier? Those who value silence will definitely not like mechanical keyboards. You can go for silent varieties, but be prepared to shell out even more money for them.
- Heavy, much heavier than a conventional keyboard, hence the reason they are hardly used for laptops or by people who are constantly on the move. It is this weight that gives mechanical keyboards more stability, but unfortunately, it is a double-edged sword.